Monday, June 14, 2010

It starts with being grateful...

One can never underestimate the power of being grateful. It really doesn't cost much. Usually a small "Thanks." Is enough. On the other hand, being ungrateful has a terrible cost. I overheard someone that I know be unbelievability ungrateful to someone who went way out of their way to help them. It changed how I felt about the person. I don't do things for people hoping for a thank you. I do them because I think that it's the right thing to do. The "thank you" is a nice extra. But even the most altruistic among us after a while will start to think after an extended period of someone we've helped being ungrateful "Damn, all this time I've been helping this person...and not even a thank you?"

I think the best relationships of any kind, be it friendship, casual or romantic, work best in the framework of altruism that looks like reciprocity from the outside. Yeah, I know that sounds confusing. I'll explain. If I do something for you out of the goodness of my heart and want nothing in return, and you do the same, the motivation is altruistic. Now from the outside it LOOKS like reciprocity because we are in a constant state of doing for each other but it wouldn't be the motivation. I personally believe that this is the best way to behave towards others...and to live. It starts with being grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment